My in-laws came to visit for a long weekend and be here for my baby's 4th birthday party. We had a great time. They left today (birthday eve) for home. As we parted at the airport, my 6-year-old broke into tears. It just wasn't a few, but rather sobs - all the way out of the airport, all the way home, and into the house.
It was heartbreaking to see him sob that it was going to be so long until he could see them again. I kept reassuring him that it was okay to be sad. Yet he was loved and would be able to talk to them anytime they wanted.
I don't know how to help him deal with his emotions. I'm praying for wisdom. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
3 comments:
I think what you're teaching him is right. That it's okay to be sad, and miss people. I also try to teach my kids to make sure to talk to God about it as well - so that they know they can go to Him with EVERYTHING, and learn about His comfort. Not trying to make a pat answer with that - just find that it helps. Then I try to have them 'look at the bright side' - and be thankful for what they do have, and what time they did have with family/friends.
You're and awesome mom! Keep up the amazing work!!!
I agree w/ Mojonah. I'll add that it probably seems hard for you b/c you are dealing w/ the same sadness but as an adult you show it in different ways. Maybe as you are seeking God about it...finding your comfort in Him and scripture you can allow him to watch you and demonstrate it to Ryan. A visual example if you will. He will also see that it's normal to feel that kind of pain and that kind of pain is brought on by a good thing...the fact that he HAS grandparents 1)in his life 2) that care so much about him. That life is full of good pain and bad pain. It's a great life lesson actually. But still hard to watch your little one hurt. You're doing awesome...keep at it girl!
Well your talking to someone that cried all the way through the search line at the Phila. airport as I left my daughter - my one daughter has Skype and I love seeing the children like that - and I console myself with remembering what the pioneer women felt when they left their known families and homes for the unknown - my mother always kinda makes fun of me for crying - but I don't care - I have to let it out when I leave - so I understand his heartbreak and I hope he learns to adjust - but never loses that sensitivity.
Post a Comment