Friday, July 02, 2010

Isaiah

To be completely honest, I'd have to save that packing up and leaving everything that is familiar has been a test of faith for me. Some days my faith is stronger than others. In my heart and soul I know that God love me, wants what is best for me, and is with me every step of the way. I am not alone (though often it may "feel" that way). It's so easy to dwell in my feelings rather than relying on what I "KNOW" is true. That's the human nature - to doubt.

In my doubt, we have seen God provide for every one of our needs. Those answers and provisions have often come at the very last moment when all else is "lost" but they have come.

Other times the answers have been swift and immediate as to cut off my mutterings and wonderings. When our house sold in two days, there were no strings left that I could plead with God to say, "Obviously you don't want us to go because..." Case shut, door open, guess it was time for me to move through it.

Well it's been 5 months since we moved here. Some days that seems like a flash in the pan, other days it seems like an eternity. I miss my family and friends. I miss the familiar. I miss my old house and neighborhood. I miss the lakes and summer fun. I miss a yard that I could simply send the kids outside to play in. I miss... and that's okay.

Yet I enjoyed the company of new friends yesterday. I loved watching my kids splash around on the slip and slide with their friends. I enjoyed the wind of this state to cool me off on a 96 degree day. I enjoy time to myself to think. I enjoy a simpler life. I enjoy seeing my husband thrive in his new vocation. I enjoy worshiping with a large community each week who are passionate about loving God and living for Him.

Perspective takes time and often looking outside of ones self. Soon after we moved here, I found myself turning in circles and dwelling on what "I deserved" and what "I lost" or "I gave up..." That's when I found myself "accidentally" reading through the book of Isaiah. I don't believe in life "accidents." There is something to be found in every occasion.

After 5 months, I finished Isaiah and I'm a different person on this side of the book. I'm seeing things in a different light. I'm not as strong as I thought I was, but I have found a way to live each day because strength is a gift from God. I don't have to earn things. I can't earn anything from God. God loves justice and wants us to pursue justice as well. True faith is not just an emotion, but a combination of truth/action/passion/dependence/hope/understanding of the unbelievable gift of forgiveness through Jesus Christ.

I'm stewing on what it means to pursue justice, to help the oppressed, and love widows and orphans. Wondering what that looks like in life in ND?? What do you think?

** Here are a few standouts for me from Isaiah**
Is 26:3-4 You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you. Trust in the Lord forever for the Lord, the LORD, is the Rock eternal.

Is 30:19 How gracious he will be when you cry for help. As soon as he hears, he will answer you. (*note to self - I may not always like the answer)

Is 41:13 For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.

Is 43:18-19 Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland.

Is 51:12 I, even I, am he who comforts you.

Is 54:10 Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken...

Is 59:1 Surely the arm of the Lord is not too short to save nor his ear too dull to hear.

Is 66:2 ...This is the one I esteem; he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word.

2 comments:

Mojonah said...

PREACH it girl!!! Glad that things are turning out well - even though - understandably - you miss your friends and family.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had that perspective Jenelle. I so wish I did. I'm definatley stuck in a rut and cannot make sense of anything that has happened to us. I wish I had answers, a leading, a peace, guidence...something. But honestly I feel abandoned. My husband begged me to start taking antidepressants again so I started yesterday and I'm so hoping that I begin to feel better and make some sense of it all soon.