Sunday, August 29, 2010

Hauting Images

I'm a visual learner. You can list of info left and right and I likely won't catch it. If it's numbers - don't even try. However, if I see an image, a map, something in writing... it clicks.

For all the years of history class, historical novels and movies I had "heard" of tar and feathering as a punishment. I started watching the HBO series "John Adams" tonight and it depicted an incident of tar and feathering. The complete inhumanity and gruesome nature of the torture haunts me. I can see, smell, hear the torment. There was so much more to the movie than that (which I would highly recommend), but I can't get the thought of such actions out of my head.

Tar and feathering isn't exactly a common day practice, but there are plenty more atrocities out there. I don't understand the vile nature that drives modern day slavery - trafficking a human being into the most hideous of existences. I cannot comprehend the sheer evil that is oppression and torture of another being. I cannot fathom the hatred that produces genocide and ethnic cleansing. I am without words for the way that bigotry plays out in our own neighborhoods and around the world.

Tonight I am struck by the depth of suffering and overwhelmed by the prevalence of it's existence. But thanks be to God for His indescribable gift (Jesus Christ) who can change even the vilest of hearts. Praying tonight that captive hearts will be set free.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes. To all of it.

Claire said...

I've been getting involved with IJM - the International Justice Mission - to end slavery among other things. We live such sheltered lives and have escaped so much.