Wednesday, September 07, 2005

How much do we care?

"caring"

We're hearing a lot about caring on TV right now, about caring for our neighbors, for those in need. But what do we really care about? Keeping that appointment, getting a project done on time and to the "top" of our abilities, what people think, our reputation, our bank accounts.

Maybe the greatest thing that I've gathered from this hurricane tragedy is what to care about, and how much do you care. I can care about the stuff of life, but not with my soul/being. Those kind of cares I need to reserve for people. How do we express that care and compassion? I'm still wrestling with my heart and my selfishness and my God to figure that one out.

Caring, in its purest form requires vulnerability and opening one's self up to hurt. I'm not good at that. I care too much about my own heart to risk it for most others. I don't see that in Jesus' example. He invested in others, wept at pain, and sought to bring comfort to all. Lessons that I desperately need to learn...

No comments: