Saturday, April 05, 2008

Small Town Life

We are hibernating this weekend in attempts to kick all the germs and viruses. So last night I ran out quick from our germ infested world to grab some groceries and a couple of movies. Although I grew up in a small town, my last 13 years of city life has dramatically changed my point of view.

Here are a couple of observations and realizations I've come to.

** You say that you are "going in to town". This means that you don't live in one.

** There is only one of lots of things. 1 grocery store, 1 movie store, 1 dry cleaner, 1 etc (however there are 3 gas stations and several bars/restaurants that break the mold).

** The grocery store can charge insane amounts of money cuz they are the only act in town and they know how much you will spend in gas to get anywhere else. I'll be planning my shopping a little better to avoid the money trap of proximity.

** Everything closes earlier. I snuck out to the coffee shop to find that it closes at 8 pm. What the ??? I thought coffee shops were for late night people?

** It's not a matter of "if" you will run in to someone you know, it is a matter of "who" you will run in to. I haven't lived here in over a decade and I ran into Melanie. Reminder to self - no more ratty yoga pants for running to the store or gas station quick. Also, brush your hair.

** My sleepy farm town is much yuppie-er than I remember. The soccer moms with SUVs and perfect hair & nails is quite alarming.

** Neighbors talk to each other. I've met more people in our new neighborhood in two weeks (most of which we've been inside sick) than in the last 7 years at our old house. There is already talks of progressive dinners, cookouts, bonfires, kids to play with, etc.

** My husband has never been more content. We see deer in the woods almost every morning (just wait til fall my white-tailed friends), there is room to move, lots of stuff to burn (without a permit), fellow hunters down the street, and a major dream/project completed. Now I have to keep him motivated on the 900 small projects left to do...

By the way, the sun is shining, it's around 60 degrees, and I've opened every room in the house to let fresh air in and get germs out, all the linens are changed, washed, and if it doesn't move it's been sanitized. Those who are moving will be bathed and disinfected before bed. We will be healthy again!

4 comments:

Evil Transport Lady said...

I hear you! I wish I could open the windows! It's a little too chilly yet, and hubby would freak out. I'm going to escape for a little while today to by him some jeans........I need the fresh air!

Logzie said...

That's funny that you are back in your hometown again and so am I. Weird? Why must we do EVERYTHING at the same time and the same way? LOL!!

I hear ya about the 'small town' issues...I've experienced them all myself...but over here. :0)

Mojonah said...

That is the blessing and curse of small towns eh? After I moved away from my home town, I always said I would NEVER move back. Guess where I am right now?!?! My home town. It's a great place raise kids..although I am hoping to move a bit more into the country.

Rachael Rae Diaries said...

Now that I live with Logziella I know what going into town means! woo! I am glad that you are all starting to feel better. There is nothing better than fresh air!