Sunday, June 14, 2009

Trouble In Kidland

Okay, maybe you can help me. I cannot get my 5-year-old to stop picking at his misquito bites, scabs, leg wounds, etc. It's worst at bed/naptime or when he's bored. Small bites have become these large wounds that never heal because he keeps picking at them. I try to keep them covered with bandaids, but he pulls those off to "check" his owie. I've tried rewards for not picking, punishments for picking, detailed explanations of health risks, pleading, distracting, etc.

Some are almost to the point of scarring. I'm all out of ideas. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Rock Chef said...

Boxing gloves?

Sorry, I can't think of anything new. My kids never really suffer with this - the things always zero in on me and chew my legs to pieces!

Anonymous said...

the only thing that comes to mind is not something you can do...


...salt...

Sorry! I have no ideas...

Anonymous said...

My son used to have excema on his legs and would scratch until they bled. All I can say is that he outgrew the habit.