... You know, the kind of day that by 10 am (or earlier) you are telling yourself that bedtime is a VERY long time away. We're in that bored with summer sibling rivalry stage. My oldest (6) feels the need to constantly be entertained and thinks that the TV is the best way to do that. Unfortunately for him, we don't sit in front of the TV all day long. So in his spare time he tries to see how far he has to push his brother to get him to react. It's a great game, really.
My almost 4-year-old has decided that he no longer needs to talk to his brother to ask him to stop and leave him alone. Instead he's found that hitting, kicking, biting, and taking items away from him are much more effective and reactionary. His ears have somehow quit working as well (unless snacks are involved).
We really try to work on first time obedience. If I say it, I mean it. Well, they've worn me down this week. I started giving them a couple of chances on things out of my fatigue at constant correcting. They've run it it.
It went from a tough day to a really bad day when I found myself yelling at one to "Shut his mouth" after constantly pointing out flaws of the other boy's balloon animals in the car (after being asked to stop). Shortly after that time I ended up yelling at them again when they were fighting during their time out for the car fiasco.
I really try not to yell at my kids. I experienced plenty of that growing up (as my own parents worked through their struggles in parenting passed on from their fathers - which they did a tremendous job of breaking the cycle). It broke my heart today to hear my son say that he forgave me, but he wasn't going to yell at his kids like that when he was a dad.
It's these days when my anger gets the best of me that I realize what an awesome God I have. He is the ever patient and loving Father ready to heal and restore. He will definitely correct my faults and failures, but never at a loss of love. What grace.
It's a human day. Sure there are plenty more to come. Glad that my boys and my God show me grace and I'll try a little harder tomorrow to breath before speaking. Grace comes much easier when I stop and think before speaking.
It's suppose to be a rainy day tomorrow. I'd better get crackin on things to do to keep us all sane and entertained for the day!
4 comments:
Everyone has days like that - you aren't alone!
I think that the "let's push each other to the limit" stage of growing up is the hardest to parent. One of my wife's strategies was to look upset and say that she thought they were nicer than that. I was less subtle - if you can't play together nicely, don't play at all - you in that room, you in that room and stay there! Soon they would be asking to play together, and it tended to stay nice for a while at least.
Good luck!
And, that, my friend, is how my Nathan came to know Jesus. Momma asking for forgiveness (because of my temper), explaining that Jesus forgives too. My failures had a pretty awesome outcome.
Too bad it doesn't always work out that way!
I am watching you....not because I'm being critical, but I'm taking notes and hoping to get help. I'll be where you are with the kids in a couple of years, and perhaps I'll call you and you'll say, "gosh, I hardly remember those days because we've moved onto other things now!"
My dad was always great at asking forgiveness too. We also had the same temper, so I got practice at both things--controlling temper and apologizing when I didn't. Well rounded education.
I'm right there with ya. And it makes me feel even worse b/c my little guy is not even at an age where he can really do anything 'wrong' yet. Just needing my attention 24-7 has me drained and on edge sometimes. I need to walk out of the room and compose myself sometimes, even if he's crying, so I don't take my frustrations out on him or my hubby.
You're a great momma! I've got a lot to learn from you :)
Post a Comment