Thursday, February 12, 2009

Saving $

So, we continue to look at ways to cut costs and save money for Andy to go to school and be out of work for 4 months... Getting creative, but I hope that our measures don't come back to bite us in the butt.

* I'm gonna color my own hair tonight instead of having it done. The last time I colored from a box was in college and it was SUPPOSE to be strawberry blonde and I ended up bright auburn. I'm hoping "Brown Sugar #63" works out better. Still need to get it cut. Maybe colored if things go seriously wrong.

* Our vacation. We were suppose to have one this year. It's been a long time since we had a real family vacation with moving, building a house, and moving again... Now with Andy's career change, not happening again this year. HOWEVER, in a rare work moment, Andy has to go install some equipment near Chicago. So, Andy will do the install on a Friday, and we'll go along with him. We are going to priceline a hotel, pack some meals, and make a weekend out of it.

* Valentine's Day - what is that again? oh yeah, that romantic holiday that Hallmark created ;) Trying to use a gift certificate we have and swap childcare with my brother. Still trying to get the schedule to work out. I'm making cards for the boys and recycling candy from the cupboard.

* Ryan's birthday - My big guy is almost 5. This is suppose to be his first "friends" party. I'm finding all sorts of free downloads for Rescue Heroes, and free activities for the kids to do. I have coupons for Little Ceasar's meal deals and found a pinata on clearance to recover. Waiting for Valentine candy to go on clearance next week. Borrowing big cupcake tin from a friend to make our own cakes. Gifts will be much simpler and smaller. Friends are helping out by recycling some of their toys.

* No out to eat budget, clothing, or home improvement for a couple of months.

Trying to have a good attitude about all the slim downs, but heck we are doing this willingly and there are thousands of people without jobs going through far worse. Finding that so much of this isn't even a burden, just is. But boy do I miss a quick fix dinner (pizza, rotisserie chicken, etc) after a long day. Just consider it more of an adventure.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like things will be creative for a while but it'll be so worthwhile in the end.

kenady said...

i just rediscovered the crock pot and it has been amazing for us this week. we had 3 nights of meals ready for us when we got home:)

Amanda said...

I color my own hair all of the time...that's become an adventure for me. You never know exactly how it will turn out. :)

Seems like we're always super-broke when Kate's birthday rolls around...which means I have to get very creative, but her parties always turn out really cute. Amazing what you can do with $2 worth of tissue paper!

Anonymous said...

Your hair turned out great!

Claire said...

Trying to decide what to do - have an apt. on the 27th for a haircut, color and highlights - cancel or pay the big bucks? - I have a big seminar to go to in DC on March 12th and want to look good - may break down and keep the apt. this one last time ---