Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Thought Provoking

Monday I started my usual migraine process telling me I need to get my neck adjusted. New in town and don't know any chiropractors and I've only met a few people to get referrals from. I take care of the headache and put that on my to do list (which is quite lengthy at this time).

I've been researching online about home economics... No, not that awful class where you learned to make rice crispy treats and mend a hole in Junior High. I'm talking about ways to make my life more efficient, productive, enjoyable, and save money doing it. I figure now is the time to adapt new routines before we get settled into one that doesn't serve our family well. So, break out the to do lists.

To tackle my to do list, I made a lengthy list of things to accomplish on tuesday while Ryan is in school. I did my grocery shopping research/couponing to hit multiple stores to score deals, packages to ship, and check out the YMCA. We were gonna be cruising to get it all done.

Well, I had napped Monday afternoon with Ty to help beat the headache so when the alarm was suppose to go off on Tuesday, it didn't. It wouldn't until 2:35 in the afternoon. Good thing I set an alarm for the boys. At 7:40 Ryan comes into my room and says he's ready for school. I asked him why he was up early (because my alarm hadn't gone off yet) and he said he was tired so he turned his alarm off once and got up the second time. He and Ty were playing....

Um, the bus comes at 7:30. Darn it. Throw on my snow hat, pants & shoes (that means I'm still wearing my pj top, I didn't miss that much) and throw the kids and the car and race to get Ryan to school before it starts at 8:10. Okay, we made it. Tell Ty we are going to have to go home and get cleaned up, breakfast, brush teeth, etc before we hit the road for the day.

Ty had been walking through the puddles so I lifted him up into his booster seat. And then I felt it. That spot where you hips and spine meet... intense sharp pain and I'm stuck. I can't move. I'm standing there half leaning into the back seat with a 3-year-old trying to figure out why mom just sucked all the air out of the car.

I managed to get his seat belt on (through pain), get in the car (barely), wince at every pothole and edge that we hit on the way home, repeat process getting out of car, Ty out, and up the stairs into the house...

There goes my to do list and find a chiropractor moves up the list fast. I find one and get in yesterday. I got some relief. Went back in today and got some more relief... along with a few more questions.

The doctor was really thorough and helped me understand everything every step of the way - why none of my former treatments worked. I'll be doing some serious work over the next couple of weeks with stretching and strength building. The goal is go get my body in balance and strengthened so that ongoing chiropractic care is not needed, or needed infrequently.

He also works with herbs and nutritional supplements as part of his treatment. A lot of what he is saying makes a lot of sense, but it is so contrary to what I've known that I'm not sure. I've got lots to research and find out what the best course of action is.

Anyone have experience and insight in this area?

2 comments:

Kuckie said...

Sheri and I are the gals to talk to on this one...email me! :)

Oscar said...

Hi - Came here via Terri -

Who as well has a similar problem. (ut I'm sure you know that already)

Relocating and getting yourself in tune. Quite a chore - Good luck!