I'm working on eating healthier. I've been reading, learning, experimenting, trying...
My husband and his cohort jokingly (partially) call their wives/us "communists" for our similar health pursuits. Others think I'm wasting my time/money/being over reactive. Other have been supportive.
I started filling in my boys about what I'm doing and why I'm not buying certain things for them anymore. Ryan took that and ran with it. Tonight he told Andy he shouldn't be drinking Pepsi anymore because it has chemicals in it. That's not going to go over well. Andy lives on his favorite soda. It would go about as well as Ryan telling me no more coffee.
For now I'm just working on eliminating food coloring, high fructose corn syrup, and hydrogenated oils. That's a lot. If I can find deals on organic, natural, or items that have very few ingredients - than that's what I'm doing.
For some reason I'm finding myself being very sensitive about this. I just want to be understood for what it is... me trying to my best with what I know. Maybe once I feel like I know what I'm doing I won't be so reactionary to people comments. Maybe I will. I guess time will tell.
3 comments:
That's really good stuff. We've started getting rid of HFCS and artificial stuff as well. Hunts has started offering stuff without HFCS, including catsup and mustard. It looks like they might be eliminating it altogether.
We've been getting Breyer's black box ice cream as well, it has 5-10 ingredients and they're all things like "milk" and "sugar".
I can tell you what's helped me not get angry that other people don't understand something, or have my feelings hurt - I think about how long it took to get me where I am. There are issues that have taken my 2, 4, 10 years to reach certain understandings on, and I just can't expect other people to "get it" in 2 or 3 conversations. This has been huge for me. I used to get a lot more angry that people didn't believe what I was saying to them (and I still may). But when I didn't see something for a long time, how could they?
Also, I've been called a crunchy hippie, crazy earth mama, the organic police, "one of THOSE moms", and a snob. ;)
Seriously if "those people" can't see that your inspiration for doing this is a beautiful red headed little boy then they are missing the point entirely. Maybe they just need to spend time w/ Ryan and his sweet personality and fall in love with him so they can see that these things are important and can potentiall help him.
To each his own and I like what Elizabeth said about it taking her years to gain certain knowledge and you can't explain it to others in 2-3 conversations....that is good to remember.
I applaude you for your efforts and I can't wait to glean what I can from your hard work!!
Love you!!
Post a Comment