After going through the infertility issues with baby #1 we decided we shouldn't wait too long to start for baby #2. Ryan was a little over 1 1/2. Around that same time my mom was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. That meant both of my parents had it and heredity is a nasty thing. I went to the classes with my mom to learn about managing diet and exercise to keep diabetes in check. In essence I started living like I was diabetic. I lost almost 15 pounds in a couple of months.
Well, evidently, the link between PCOS and diabetes was proven by the fact that when my body was in balance - I got pregnant immediately. Wasn't expecting to have 2 kids under the age of 3, but God had other plans.
I found out I was pregnant by accident. I had been helping clean out my brother-in-laws new house, paint, etc. My mother-in-law likes to clean with straight bleach and amonia. The smells were so strong it was making me sick. I paniced about "what if" i'm pregnant. Went home, took the test and sure enough - I was. Andy was in Iowa on a hunting trip so I had to keep the news to myself for several more days. It almost killed me to not tell him on the phone.
We told everyone at Christmas we were pregnant by signing cards "Andy, Jenelle, Ryan & Baby." Freaked a few people out, but many didn't notice. Taught me an interesting lesson about who to waste time and money on cards... but that's another post.
I was really sick this pregnancy too. I didn't hurl that much but had that queezy/sea-sick feeling all the time. Then the headaches started. I felt like my head was going to explode and I couldn't take my migraine meds while pregnant. I saw a chiropractor and got some relief. Somewhere around 6 months the side effects broke.
I managed to survive the warmest summer ever (ok maybe not, but it felt like it), being 9 1/2 months pregnant at my brother-in-laws outdoor July wedding (thank you very much) and my hubby's mini-life crisis about turning 30. All that and I was overdue again. Everyone says the second one comes earlier - it's a lie! On top of that my doc wouldn't induce me as early as I thought because of where the weekend fell. I cried.
I called my good friend Andrea and begged her to come over with her girls for the evening to keep me company and keep my mind of things. They were getting ready to go and I stood up quick out of a camping chair to go get some fresh herbs for her to take home and my water broke! Andy freaked out. Andrea was running back and forth from inside to check on me and outside to check on Andy. Couldn't get ahold of my in-laws who were suppose to take Ryan. Finally we found them at my sister-in-laws and we could head to the hospital and Andrea could take her girls home.
We checked in and I was at a 4. I was thrilled cuz it was better than round 1. I stuck out the contractions for an hour or so and Andy said "if you are going to get the epidural later anyways, why don't you get it now and save yourself the pain." Interesting logic and I went for it. Got nice and settled with a good epidural and didn't feel too much but I could still move. (much better than round 1 when the epidural tube came oiut of my back and wore off)
Andy took off to get something to eat figuring it would be a while. I settled in to rest and didn't think the epidural was working well. Called the nurse to find out I had gone from a 4 to a 10 in less than 45 minutes. God bless the epidural. Luckily Andy came back to eat upstairs as a nurse was going to go find him so he didn't miss anything. Less than an hour later Tyler Malcolm was born at 8 lbs 7 oz. Well more than a pound bigger than his brother and a much rounder head. (the first of many complications from my big headed boy).
Once again had nursing problems, he ended up Jaundice and had to get blood work on him at 4 days old to find out if he was dehydrated and might need to be admitted. I wept as I held him down for the nurse to draw blood as Andy paced the halls. Everything turned out fine and found out he was tongue tied.
He has been an easy going loving baby from the start. He liked to eat and sleep. He's a loving child with a big grin and mischief in his eyes. He's getting mobile now and he's gonna make up for lost time. Don't think he'll be the "easy one" for long.
Love my boys. Dealt with/dealing with post-partum has convinced me I am done with biological children. My husband hasn't come to that point yet. I would love to adopt. There is something compelling to me as a child adopted by God into His family, that I am excited to do the same for a child without parents... But time will tell on any further baby stories.
1 comment:
I am so thankful that we got to share our pregnancies together and be there for eachother!
What a beautiful picture of you 3!
Post a Comment