So I have to admit that I had a bad attitude this week. My mom invited me to a ladies night at her church and I REALLY did not want to go. But I had no excuses and she came to the Holiday Hints thing at mine - so I said yes out of guilt.
My mom still goes to the church that I grew up in. It is a far different place now then what I experienced (very strict, conservative, etc) but I really have no connection there. It's people that I use to know... I figured I was mom's show and tell item for the night.
Once again I learned that I need to judge less and wait and see. I had a pretty good time. We made those meal/recipe kits in a jar. For $5 everyone came home with 5 jars of goodies, wrapped up already for gifts or to use for yourself. I ended up with another headache (lots of those again lately) so I begged my mom to leave early before it got bad cuz I had a drive ahead of me still. All in all - not a bad night.
I tested a theory of something I realized recently. My mom doesn't say "I love you." Thinking back I don't remember hearing it much growing up. If I tell her I love here, she'll say, you too, or murmur something else. She'll say she's proud of me, or I did a good job on something... just not those 3 words. I know that she does, but it sure would be nice to hear it occasionally.
Maybe that's why I'm always hugging on my kids and telling them how much I love them. I don't want them to ever have to wonder if I do. I'd better stop now before I blog myself into therapy or something.
4 comments:
My grandma never used to say I love you either. If we said it to her, should would respond "I love them all" (meaning all the grandkids I think). I tell my kids I love them all the time. I can't imagine not telling them that.
I'm glad to hear that your night with your mom went so well. It's always nice when things go better than you thought they would : )
My Grandma was the exact same way! She never ever said those 3 words nor did she write them in a card. Maybe it's something with that generation?
I am glad that you had a fun time nonetheless.
P.S.-what's up with the headaches? check your carbon monoxide detector...
Love you!
hi, found you through logziella. i can relate with you, my mom was the same way while my sister and i were growing up. I tell my son everyday that i love him. i enjoy your blog btw.
Changes - welcome! I'll spin by and check out your blog.
Post a Comment