There is a war that we all are drawn into. The faces change, the battles rage - the tide ebbs and flows. Today the battle came to my house - you probably know it well. I'm talking about the war against a dirty house.
The battle began late last night when I came home from getting my hair done, I found my home in under chaos. The enemy's clutter battalion had attacked. Dirty dishes pilled high. Toys on every surface, debrie from dinner was sticking to the table and scatter on the rug below. To my dismay I found that the slime patrol had invaded in my absence and coated most surfaces including windows and mirrors.
I led a small retalitory attack of my own upon discovery of the enemy's attack, trying to survey the damage and rally a small de-cluttering response to let the enemy know that I was aware of it's intentions.
Upon awakening this morning I rallied the troops to prepare for a full frontal assault on the enemy. Before we could make it past mess hall, the slime patrol made another attempt to enlist my soldiers (ages 2 & 4) in making more of a mess.
I pressed on, undaunted by the pressures of time, fussing, sibling rivalry, distractions, and temper tantrums to accomplish a partial victory. I pushed back the battle line on vacuuming, bathrooms, kitchen, and clutter. I know my foe is waiting in the wings for me to become distracted and busy and will attack again, but for now - I'm up to the challenge. I keep waiting for the reinforcements that I'm told are coming... better not hold my breath.
3 comments:
Loved that!
My 2 younger kids now help a bit, but our eldest son makes himself so useless that you are better off without him...
Research has shown that in any battle only around 5% of the soldiers there actually do any fighting...
I have found that keeping the house clean is a losing battle. Now that the kids are older they make bigger messes and they're old enough to help clean, but they're rarely here. The husband tends to conveniently busy himself in the garage where I suspect he's really just watching t.v. while I clean.
Great writing Jenelle!!! I read it the day you told me about it but didn't have time to comment and I am just now catching up on my blog reading...ugh...but seriously...you have a talent here girl and I am NOT talking about cleaing! LOL!...well your good at that too but you know what I mean!
Post a Comment