Thank you all for your input on the field trip situation. This morning when I went in to his preschool the lead teacher informed me that they needed new paperwork filled out for Ryan's Epipen. I was wondering about that because they never had me fill out anything at the beginning of the year, but I tucked last year's form in with it. I figured that opened the door on peanut discussions.
I politely asked what the purpose of the field trip was so that I could work with him on what he would be missing. Basically it's an eat and have fun trip. I expressed concern that as a peanut-free facility (and they market themselves that way) that it seemed odd to take them to a place that was not safe. The teacher expressed that since there were only two children that it effected that it wasn't a big deal. So my kid isn't a big deal?
Then she continued to say that she hadn't even thought about it when it was booked and that there wouldn't be any more trips this year that would be of concern. I told her that I understood what was happening, and just wanted more information about what was going on. I tried to be positive, but I was pretty sure that I was coming across a bit short. I often do when I'm thinking things through while trying to be careful with my words. So I was sure to mention to the aid when I came back that I hoped that my intent had come across correctly and appreciated them. Teachers have a hard enough job without difficult parent battles. I'll safe my gusto for the major issues. I'm tossing this into the "it isn't a perfect world/I'll help educate them" category.
In the educational mode, let me share with you a bit about a peanut allergy. Feel free to read on if you care or want to know more. If not, feel free to move on. Kenady - I'm sure your child's allergy that you are more than aware of most of this.
Like all allergies there are degrees to which a child is effected - from a itch/rash, to stomach issues, digestion issues, hives, swelling throat that can lead to death. Based on the one primary exposure and testing my son falls in the Severe category. He started with severe hives at a tiny introduction. Since then he's had hives from transfer amounts.
Some allergies are airborne some are by contact or ingestion. Thank GOD my boy doesn't have airborne allergy issues. That is almost impossible to keep them safe. His comes in the form of ingestion. Keep in mind that doesn't mean he has to eat the peanut product directly, consuming a trace amount in transfer will cause a reaction. If there is peanut butter on the counter and the bread for his sandwich is laid on it, than he will ingest peanut products. In the case of a peanut laden reception/restaurant - that becomes frightening because there is residue everywhere, people have traces on their hands, touching stuff, etc.
Peanuta are also known as an additive allergy. The more exposure, the more likely the response will be worse the next time.
To all of you that have lived with me freaking out over peanuts and peanut products over the last 3 years - thank you for putting up with me. Thanks for making my son's world a bit safer as you do your best to learn and protect him. Until we were thrown into this crazy world I too use to think, "well, keep your kid away from it and let the rest of us enjoy..." I've learned that it isn't that simple.
Yes, my boy will miss out on opportunities like this field trip, the circus, certain restaurants, the incredible combination of chocolate with peanut butter, and other opportunities... but life is worth missing a few things.
If you've read this far, than you are gracious to listen to my ramblings. Thank you.
6 comments:
Never apologize for ranting on your blog! It's YOUR blog! And allergies are nothing to take lightly. The pre-school teacher is a dumbass......it does seem a bit odd to take preschoolers to that reasturant....I could think of a few better places. Weird.
Kudos to YOU, for protecting your child and educating us on peanut allergies! Go forth and be peanut free! ;)
I think you handled it well. It's hare to have to see your child miss out on something that's offered to everyone else. I have heard horror stories about peanut allergies. I can't imagine how diligent you have to be about situations many of us take for granted.
My kid's idea of having fun does not include a sit-down steak dinner. What a strange field trip.
Ryan is blessed to have a mom who'll stick up for him! :)
The thing I think is bizarre is a field trip to a peanut place when they -market- themselves as peanut-free.
Please don't feel too bad - we all miss out on stuff sometimes for one reason or another.
Life without the circus...not missing out there...between the clowns and the way they treat the animals....I think its a scary and sad place.
I love that you are teaching him how to deal with his situation, not be a victim but an advocate...so important to learn that when we are young!!!
Great Job Mommy Jenelle!!!
I think you handled it very well - and thank you for the info on the allergy - I understand better now - and really that is what needs to happen - that people are better educated to what is happening with our "neighbors."
Post a Comment