Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Frustration

Since Andy is going back to school, we are losing our insurance. I spent a couple of hours this morning carefully filling out an on-line application for personal health care insurance (HSA). We had met with a local guy specializing in HSAs and were pretty happy with what we found out as far as coverage.

Now here is the thing, unlike group coverage, the insurance companies can deny you coverage as an individual. And they did. I just got an automated email reply saying that the underwriter review has declined both me and Ryan for coverage. I'm guessing it has to do with last year's pulmonary embolism and Ryan's peanut allergy.

SO there is a couple of hours I can't get back. There are other companies that we can still look at, but price/coverage isn't as good. Bummer and back to the drawing board. Wish things would just go right the first time. It would save me a lot of time and frustration.

Got to love the health care/insurance system. According to friends in Italy, it could be worse... It could be socialized/national health care... moving at the speed of a snail.

Always a bright side I guess.

8 comments:

Kiki said...

I am always worried about the health care system, I know lots of people who are dealing with this same thing right now...I'll be praying for you and your family that you get it all worked out...

Rock Chef said...

I think the UK has the worst of both - National Health Care with a private layer on top for those who can afford it. Most doctors work in both sectors, earning a ton of cash but spreading themselves too thin...

Anonymous said...

That seems like something the local guy you met with could have told you, or at least mentioned as a possibility? Sorry! H. Ins. is pretty much a pain now matter what...unless you are a teacher I think.

Amanda said...

Well...at least now you can engage in "risky behaviors" without fear of being dropped. :) Wanna go skydiving?

Hope you're able to find something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Jenelle said...

Kiki - thanks

CRC - didn't realize UK had national health care

Elizabeth - we did know that was a possibility, just didn't think it would happen to us... the other company will take you regardless, but coverage isn't as good.

Amanda - I would LOVE to go skydiving, but that might negate my life insurance ;) and give Andy a heart attack to go with it.

Anonymous said...

I know someone who makes a living selling HSAs and I know he can give you good advice. If you're interested, on my facebook, find Scott Borden. He can help you.

Jenelle said...

The guy we are working with is really good, one of the first to do HSAs in our area. We were just hoping that we could pass the physical part of things to get a particular policy. No such luck.

tz said...

there's gotta be a happy medium! it's insane! I'm so sorry and I hope that you'll be able to work out something economical as well as benificial to your family