Thursday, January 31, 2008

Loose Ends

There is a stack of dishes a mile high calling my name and I'm desperately trying to ignore them. (Let me tell you how much I can't wait for a DISHWASHER again!) But in the process of trying to ignore the impending wrinkled dishwater hands, I decided to dig through my "to do piles" that get set aside for later. (I must be desperate)

In the process I came across cards and an address I had set aside to send sympathy cards. I blogged about it last month about a guy that I grew up with committed suicide. His sister was a friend of mine and use to work with me at the radio station. I felt badly that the cards had gone unwritten so long and struggled with words to say almost a couple months removed from the circumstances. That's when God reminded me that time doesn't remove grief. So I'm praying that my delay is a blessing that the cards the family members receive continue to let them know they are loved and prayed for - after the tide of support may have started to slow down.

I've also come to the conclusion that I need to break myself of the pile making that I seem to tend toward. Instead of a couple of little things to do each day, I end up with a mountain of paperwork, mail, and odds-n-ends that require significant time to conquer. I'm far better than I use to be, but really need to find a method of organization and motivation to do things daily. Any hints on how to make that happen? Anyone else a self-confessing piler?

3 comments:

Amos said...

I come and go with this very thing at times. For the most part I am very organized, but my office right now looks like a pile pit.

My favorite things are those Sterilite containers with the three pull out drawers. I have two that are 8 1/2 x 11 sized. (since we have rentals). My three drawers say personal bills, rental bills, and personal checking. And then the others are for two business checking books and statements, and filing.

Then I have a miniature sized one on my kitchen counter for the odds and ends, like pens, post it notes, reward stickers for my kids, rental money collection, misc stuff.

I stand at the counter and open my mail, discard all of the trash and then go right to my bins and put it in the appropriate slots. It helps some on the clutter. I think we have a few dead trees in our house with all the business papers we have.

And don't feel bad about the card, I think you are right that the card will bring comfort to know that someone is still thinking of them in the latter months.

Anonymous said...

Hi, my name is Terri and I'm addicted to pile-making. I'm very good at pile-making, but not so much at the dealing-with-piles aspect of the addiction.

I've heard about this "Getting Things Done" theory that is supposed to help with getting more organized. It's in my mental pile of things to look into.

Domestic Diva said...

I am too obsessive/complusive to have a pile...how can I make piles? I miss out on fun stuff because I'm too busy straigtening, and unpiling....Amos has the right idea with the bins.

About the card...in our Grief and Divorce Recovery class, it was said that sympathy cards "pile" in at first...but it is after the first couple of months that the person needs the most encouragement...so, you are on the right track.