Thursday, May 08, 2008

A Crappy Field Trip - Literally

I should have been smart like many of the other moms and just sent my son with the teachers on this field trip. But, being the good and protective mom that I am, I packed up my two sons and headed out to "Dairy Discovery."


We had hardly opened the car door when Ryan yelled "What's that smell?" He's been asking that for the last couple of months since moving. Welcome to the country. The 1200 cows on the farm should have been a clue.


We started out in the milking parlor. I grabbed my friends son to come with us to help out the teachers and headed in. Didn't realize that Tyler would FREAK out and scream the whole time. Which was compounded when the cow coming in relieved himself and poop splattered on us. Not much, but more than enough to gross me out and make Ryan FREAK out. I now have 2 screaming kids. So we try to push our way out of the parlor so the other kids can hear. If I had moved 2 seconds earlier we would have been COVERED with pee from another cow. I'm really done at this point and we are 5 minutes into the tour.


Tyler continued to cry and want to be held for the next hour and a half. I really don't need 30 extra pounds to carry around (I already have that myself). He was even scared by the baby calves whom we were given the chore of feeding a bottle of water. Again Ty screamed the whole time and Ryan was scared after the calf pulled the bottle out of his hands and into pen. I'm consoling two crying kids and still trying to feed the dumb calf.


The highlight of the day - the corn crib. It's like a sand box made of corn. It's the only time I saw Ty smile the whole time. Still have a few kernels of the corn floating around in the back of the car.

I think I've earned Mother's Day this week.

8 comments:

topher1kenobe said...

What a great title. :) You're so clever.

The Cudneys have baby bunnies and baby chickens at the moment, as well as red deer ripe for the hunting. Wild turkeys up there too. You guys should go visit. :)

Kiki said...

My family will confirm that I am no nature lover, though I want to be, and cringe at dirt or sweating...smells, buzzing insect noises, etc. You are so much braver than I could ever be!!!

Logzie said...

Oh my gosh...is it wrong that I laughed my way thru this entire post?? I'm so sorry Jenelle but you truely did get the farming experience didn't you?...poo and all!!

Evil Transport Lady said...

Hahahahaa.....sorry:) I love to visit the cows at country fairs, but I think that would have been even too much for me, and I'm used to poop etc. 1200?? Geez!

Kuckie said...

HA! My hubby grew up on a dairy farm, so my kiddos have been splashed with cow poop and pee too...gotta love it! After the first time, it doesn't bother them anymore. You were a good sport though! And I will admit, I did laugh *a little*!

Jenelle said...

**To those who laughed**
Remember what you laugh at often comes back to haunt you ;)
That's okay, I can laugh about it now too.

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

Happy Mother's Day!

Sorry I chuckled at this post! ;-)

Anonymous said...

You sure did earn a Happy Mother's Day. I hope you had a good one!