Friday, May 30, 2008

Summer Fun

What fun (and inexpensive) things do you during the summer? We are a bit short on vacation time thanks to the house, so I'm looking for fun stuff to do this summer that doesn't require a lot of time or money...

Any veggie gardeners out there? What are you planting?

7 comments:

Rock Chef said...

Our favourite day out is a train trip along the coast to a lovely little seaside town. We either pack a picnic for the beach of buy food while we are there, according to how organised we are. Cheap and fun.

We are growing some of our own stuff for the first time in years. We have peas, beans, onions and garlic going outside and tomatoes, chives and jalapinoes inside. So far so good.

Kuckie said...

Well, we have strawberries every year, and this year we are planting tomatoes (LOTS of tomatoes), cucumbers, zucchini, green beans, giant pumpkins and maybe watermelons.

As far as fun and inexpensive, we are taking a morning to go into downtown Columbus because Kendall wants to see where she was born. We are making a daytrip out of it and are touring the hospital first thing, then heading over to Daddy's work and taking him to the park for a picnic lunch. We are also going to tour the local whistle factory and Graeter's Ice Cream, hit the little beach over at the lake, and probably take some long bike rides on the bike path. And of course, the zoo as much as possible!

Something you might want to look into, Jenelle...I bought a book last year that I saw in the AAA magazine called Kids Love Ohio. They also have them for various other states. The family that wrote the book went through the entire state doing everything there was to do, free, cheap, and expensive..and then wrote about all the pros and cons and their review of it. It was a great investment at $11.95...and gave me lots of ideas for little things I never even knew were in the area. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I'm doing tomatoes, herbs, a couple jalepenos (for salsa), onions, garlic, spinach, a zucchini, and maybe a melon.

Any b-day's coming up? Passes to Meijer Gardens, the Zoo, and the children's museum are all awesome.
And the beach, of course. :> And a new or reborn hobby that you all could do together. I craft with my kids, but there's lots of things you can regularly pursue for fun that don't require too much dough.
Like with the Tulip Gardens, I decided to go to a lot of the things that people travel -here- for. The "vacation in your own backyard" kind of thing.

Anonymous said...

There's a state park near our house with a man-made beach. A pass for the entire year is about $25 and the kids love to go there and swim or hike along the walking paths. There are also a couple of water parks in our area. They are kind of spendy, but well worth it if the weather cooperates and we can make a day of it.

We planted our gardens last weekend... tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans, bell peppers, radishes and table onions.

tz said...

oooh, I got this garden idea from the botanic gardens here in town (and there's a fun weekend thing to do. look online about all the things to do in your town as a tourist and act like tourists in your own town)

anyhow, gardening...get a whiskey barrel and plant a 'pizza' garden or 'salsa' garden in each planter for the kiddos and when it's time to harvest make the 'sauce' or the 'salsa' with them...

so in the salsa, you may grow onions, tomatoes and jalapenos and some cilantro in that whiskey barrel...

I didn't get around to it this year but the kids loved having their own area in the veggie garden and it made more sense to them w/ the end goal of salsa...

Rock Chef said...

Forgot one of the plants - giant pumpkins! These should be a blast, even if we only use them for halloween!

Logzie said...

I took the kids to a greenhouse the other week and we walked around enjoying all the beautiful flowers and talking about what a greenhouse was and how it works...fun and educational. I think we are going to do it again today just b/c it was such a nice time.

Also, Rachael and I took the kids to Krispy Kreme to see how donuts are made and then enjoyed a tasty snack after.

Other than that, I am tapped out of ideas...I am glad you posted this as I got some ideas from your other commentors too!