We started on our lawn this weekend. After a couple of hours of raking on Friday night we came to the conclusion that we were in way over our heads. Our ground is mostly clay and hours of hard work had yielded little. So we rented a tractor with an attachment to scrape everything up good (best money we've spent on the house so far). But we couldn't get it until Saturday afternoon. Boys and their tractors...
So Andy got up early Saturday and went turkey hunting. Ryan and I were sitting on the couch watching a cartoon when Andy knocked on the door holding a turkey. You would have thought that it was Christmas as excited as the two little boys and the grown up boy were. Ty thoroughly enjoyed watching the whole butcher process. Ryan was a little more timid, but eventually watched. I stayed in the kitchen just shaking my head.
After the turkey and breakfast we set up to put top soil in the flower garden area along side the house. That's when we found out that the excavator only used the clay to backfill the house and left no sand or top soil on top. We spent a couple of back breaking hours shoveling.
After that we got to go work at a friends house. We work with Junior High kids at church and every two years we go on a missions trip. This summer we are taking the kids to go work at a summer camp (kitchen & grounds work). To raise money for the trip we take on work projects and also gives us a chance to build as a group and teach kids how to work hard if their parents haven't gotten through to them on that one. We usually end up doing everyone else's spring yard clean up on top of our own...
After getting our kids in bed Sat night we proceeded to plant the lawn in the dark. I'm a little scared to see how it comes in. But at least half of the yard is seeded. The other half starts tomorrow after the rest of the top soil comes in.
Sunday was church and more work on the lawn. Today I did a work out with friends and another work project. My body is done. My shoulders don't want to move and my leg muscles are sore. At least we are earning money and I'm getting in better shape!
It was nice tonight to not be coming in at 11:30 PM. Instead of yard work I baked all night for a shower I'm throwing tomorrow night. Yum - pineapple upside down cake and mini cheesecakes. That kind of good tasting work I don't mind as much.
Happy Monday to ya!
5 comments:
Looks like great fun for the boys - my youngest would have loved us to hire a tractor! Tractors were his thing!
That IS a long, hard weekend! We learned 3 years ago to start renting equipment if we need it. No more hand-trenching or hole-digging for trees...it's back breaking work and you can spend a relatively small amount of money to get the job done easier and faster.
I know what you mean about boys and their tractors! Noah will completely freak out if he hears Barry start ours up and he's not out there!
Keep up the good work!
Cute picture of dad with the children.
Sounds like our weekends were much alike!! But...I think you did more work that us...:0) Every night we fell into bed we would talk about where we hurt and how bad...but we always ended it by saying that it felt good to hurt as it meant that we accomplished something.
Those pictures of Andy and the boys with the Turkey and the Tractor were so CUTE!!
I bet Andy is STOKED that he can walk out the door and hunt AND get something! A dream come true for that man!
I spent a Saturday afternoon and evening putting in my garden, but I didn't have to dig up my whole yard - yikes! I would be crazy sore and tired, too. But it was a good weekend for it. :>
Post a Comment