Monday, November 03, 2008

VOTE

Here's my philosophy. I've said it before, but it bears repeating.

- If you didn't vote, you haven't earned the right to complain about decisions made that you don't like.

- If you are a woman, how would explain to your sisters who fought so valiantly for your right to vote? Do you think the excuse that you are too busy or not informed would fly with them?

- If you are african-american, how would you explain to your slave ancestors that it wasn't important for your voice to be heard, that voting isn't a bit deal?

- If you are an American, how would you justify not voting to your relatives who bled and died for your freedom, for your right to be represented in the government?

- If you are breathing, how would you explain to persecuted, exiled, and deprived fellow humans around the world that you don't care to use your vote/voice? No one is threatening your life or well being as you attempt to cast your vote.

We may differ on the candidates, the issues, the best plan for the future - but couldn't we come together and agree on one day that it matters to make it to the polls? If I can wait in line with my hooligans, you can do it too.

4 comments:

Rock Chef said...

Well said! Turnout over here is usually abysmal. Where I live is considered a very safe seat for the MP, but if everyone who doesn't like him actually got out and voted (instead of saying "Oh he will win anyway, what is the point") he would be long gone!

Teresa said...

Preach it sista!! This cannot be said enough!!

RC...that is sad.

Anonymous said...

I second that!

There was one year I didn't vote in the Presidential election and let me tell you... I felt HORRIBLE about it! I was surprised to hear one of my coworkers today (who is older than me) say that she hadn't voted since the first year she was old enough to vote!

Vote people! Vote! Your future depends on it!

Kiki said...

Amen sister...you said it so well!!!