- Icy face pelting snow - it stings as it hits and flies over over the roads, icing them as well. Usually is accompanied by wickedly cold temps and wind that make you wish you lived somewhere else.
- Wet sloppy snow - this falls quickly and makes excellent snowballs/forts and breaks your back to shovel. Melts quickly or will freeze into immovable icebergs that last long after the next thaw.
- Sleet - in between rain and snow and creates lots of work for wreckers, body shops and insurance companies.
- Movie Snow - large, drier flakes that fall gently from the sky, covering the tree branches and ledges elegantly. This is the kind that you stick your tongue out to catch a flake and ended up blinded because it landed in your eye instead. Becomes dangerous with visibility when it gets really thick or carried by heavy gusts blowing it all around.
-------
Update: So it was more like a horror movie snow on the way home. Nothing like following the plow home in near white out conditions with icy roads. Welcome to winter in Michigan.
7 comments:
You crack me up! I totally know each and every one of those kinds of snow. And you are right. Movie snow is magical. I'm wishing I were sitting in a coffee shop with my laptop and a white mocha, watching movie snow.
(Hey, maybe you could get a pair of goggles and THEN go stick your tongue out to catch snowflakes!)
I had a few flakes hit me in the eye today too. It's beautiful but I'd still trade it for a tropical beach ANY day. :)
I love Movie Snow! Last time we had a good fall of that, the cars could not get up the hills leading out of the city, but I made it on my bike! HAH! The rest of the journey was wonderful, just me and the snow in the woods.
I love that hush at night when the snow stops and everything is quiet - I use to love looking out our bay window over the steep hill that our home was built on in Northport, LI overlooking the harbor - you're so right - it did look like a movie!
post a pic so i can have my "snow fix". then i can relish in the fact that are trees still have leaves on them:)
Since snow is such a major part of our lives in the winter, we almost took our "Christmas card picture" in front of Steve's plow. :)
Hmm....snow. Maybe that's what we need for it to actually feel like the Christmas Season around here!?! I love your descriptions of the different kinds of snow. I would say I've experienced all of them at one time or another...but nothing like you guys do in MI. In OK we might get snow a couple of times a year and rarely do we get enough to do anything with it. Although last winter was pretty crazy!
Anyway, this was such a fun post! Loved it!
Post a Comment