Wednesday, December 03, 2008

The Ups and Downs of TREE DAY

Every year (almost), the Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving is our TREE DAY. This day is mine. This one day a year, my family is drug into my Christmas obsession. After a big breakfast we pile into the car and head out to a tree farm to cut down our "palm tree" as Ryan calls it. We bring our prized tree home and spend the decorating it and the rest of the house for the holidays. The boys love it now, my husband kindly endures it because he knows what's good for him. I know that in another few years there will be great complaining from pre-teens about not wanting to go and a dad bribing and threatening their lives to keep me happy.

Silly boys makes the smiles go UP

Our wagon ride consisted of a metal box with 1 seat being pulled by a Ford F350 threw the mud and mud holes. Hold onto the kids, it's gonna be a bumpy ride. Almost fell DOWN.

After much seeking and a couple extra rides to different sections, we would find a tree that was pretty good. Our tree last year was perfect - making it a hard act to follow. The tree while it was still UP.

My lumberjacks cutting the tree DOWN

Mantle decorations and nativity are put UP.

My Christmas village. It finally has a home and it is big enough to fit it all. These are so special to me. My dad bought me many of them for Christmas gifts and my dad NEVER bought gifts. Since he's been gone 6 years, this is a very personal collection. (up)

I love red and Christmas is a great way to go all out. This baby is a good 8' +
The star is touching the slanted ceiling. (up)

This lovely covering came the day after we strung the lights along the eaves and put up the tree. I still have garlands to hang and a few more decorations to go. (up while the snow came down)

All this family fun followed by one of the biggest 4-year-old fits in the history of pre-schoolers. (downer for sure).

And so the season begins.

8 comments:

kenady said...

just gorgeous! and your tree cutting adventure sounds like loads of fun! sorry about the 4-year-old meltdown...

Kuckie said...

What a great tradition! I love going to the tree farm...it's a highlight of the season for me.

Your boys will have so many special memories...but they're going to want to be out hunting Thanksgiving weekend!

Anonymous said...

Love that you have a place for your village.

Here's your brother's Christmas present:
http://www.fishseddy.com/browse.cfm/2,103.html

:>

Jenelle said...

E - That's crazy. He'd spend all of his time critiquing instead of enjoying. ;)

K - Thanks. At least the meltdowns are getting less frequent :)

Kuckie - I'm gonna use the hunting as part of my negotiations to be sure!

Teresa said...

A great family tradition! Your tree is beautiful!! We should have Ryan and Kenzie have a fit throwing contest...I wonder who'd win! LOL!!

Kate said...

Great pics! I especially love the house collection - what a sweet gift that you'll always have such happy memories of.

I'm setting my blog to private and would like to include you on the invite. You can e-mail your address to missgotwings@hotmail.com. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Your tree and decorations are gorgeous! And if your kids are anything like mine, they'll NEVER grow tired of putting up the tree and decorating.

Jen said...

What fun! I love your little village collection---and from your dad? How special. I can't imagine my DAD actually buying me a gift. Only mom does that..so if my dad did buy me anything--I can only imagine how special it would be!

After reading yours and Kuckie's fun times cutting down REAL trees---I'm starting to think maybe I should try a real tree sometime. We always have artificial...but there must be something to this whole real tree thing. Although I think around here, people just buy their real trees from Wal-Mart. I wonder if there is a place you can go chop them down yourself? hmmm...I'll have to check on that!
Anyway, your tree looks great! I love red too.