Saturday, September 29, 2007

Example

It was a long day and I'm emotionally spent. My friend Alicia's mom lost her battle with cancer and today was the funeral. It's been a 8 year struggle on and off again with a couple of different cancers. I knew that the day would be intense and emotional (both things that I find draining).

The world is lesser place having lost Donna. She genuinely loved and cared for people, lived a genuine life - what she said is what she was. Something so many of us long to be - open and honest in all that we are and do. I'm doing okay on the honesty - still working on the open part.

It was a beautiful service - lots of music, a few chuckles at memories of Donna, and personal tributes from her children. I was SO proud of Alicia and I'm sure her mother would have been to. Alicia boldly spoke what she and her mother found most valuable - their faith. When asked how they were making it through - she simply said because her Savior lives and that's how they face tomorrow.

So much of today brought back memories from my dad's funeral and the immense peace that God gave us. I saw that in Alicia's family today. God is good and gracious - in the face of death, cancer, loss, and grief He continued to provide for all of our needs.

Farewell Donna - we look forward to our reuniting in heaven.

2 comments:

Logzie said...

All very well put Jenelle.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss, Donna sounds like an amazing role model for anyone.

Amos said...

You are not alone in this kind of grief, but it is so good to know that our Savior reigns and one day death will be no more and we can live in eternity with him. I am so sorry to hear of her passing, but rejoice in the fact that another amazing angel just joined the ranks of heaven. It has been 6 months since my friend lost his cancer battle too, and the memories are precious, still tears at times, but a complete peace that he is with Jesus. I hope the sun/Son shines brightly for you this week!