Monday, July 20, 2009

WAR Party

I was a bit of a tease last week with my WAR party comment and then go busy and didn't update. No I did not lead a group to pillage the next town over. Waht I did was host a party for Women At Risk, Intl. I don't host ANY kind of at home parties, but for this group, I made an exception to that standard.

It's an incredible organization that I've come to know about that is doing some amazing work around the world. They work to help rescue women who are trafficked, oppressed, abused, or help those who are at risk. But they don't stop there. They help these women learn a trade (jewelry making, sewing, baking, etc) so they can not only be safe, but can support themselves/their family with a marketable and honorable job.

I had a party featuring their jewelry (mostly from Thailand) for sale and also to help educate other women about the risks around them and around the world. There is SO MUCH that I was not aware of that was happening in our own back yard. I'm pretty naive to so much of the risk and oppression that is out there. And this is just the start of me finding ways to help other women around the world.

I'll leave you with a few pictures from the night while I lounge around in my orange pajama pants that I bought (with a fun matching shoulder bag/tote) at the party. Talk about feel good shopping. If you aren't familiar with the organization, I highly recommend them.

What's a party without food. Here's the black raspberry cobbler I made.

Along with the grilled pineapple and pineapple cream cheese dip.

My house was covered with beautiful, exotic, creative masterpieces.

I did laps between the kitchen, dining room and living room.

So hard to decide. Great night with friends and family. If you are interested, I'll be having another party hopefully in September.

4 comments:

Rock Chef said...

So no pillaging, then...

Still, this sounds like a great alternative in support of a great cause!

Mmm, that cobbler looks good.

Cal said...

Next time you do this, if you'd like to have some live music for background, I know a certain whistler who'd be more than willing to support this cause, and whose rig fits nicely in the corner of most living rooms. :-D (schedule permitting, of course :-D)

Kate said...

WHAT a great idea! I don't like hosting all those other parties b/c I hate people feeling guilted into buying something . . . just so I can get some free gifts - lol!

Plus, so many people are in a tight spot financially right now.

But I LOVE this idea! Thanks for the info. I'll have to go check out the site

Jenelle said...

RC - sorry to disappoint.
Cal - Thanks for the offer. :)
Kate - Ditto on people feeling guilted, but it helps that they know I get nothing out of it!!