Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Price of Vanity

Pride does come before the fall, or at least a big mess. Earlier in the week and threw the kids in the car and took Ryan to pre-school. Then Ty and I headed to the grocery store to pick up a couple of quick things. Of course this is when you run into someone. Met up with a girl from college, always the put together/beautiful kind. She claimed to have done the quick mom throw together and I laughed on the inside. She had make-up, jewelry, cute clothes, and while her hair was slicked back it was chic and stylish.

Felt completely frumpy so I went home and put Ty into his chair with a snack while I tried to fix myself up. What I didn't realize is that Ty stretched himself far enough to reach the paint brushes I had set out to wash. Yes, the paint brushes from the new house, Ty and Ryan's room to be exact. That would be the red and orange rooms. He had painted the table, had a completely red hand, got it on his sweater and luckily nothing else. Of course I had about 25 minutes until I had to leave to pick up Ryan and go to a family lunch.

It was a rat race, but I got it taken care of. The paint came out of everything and I got everywhere on time. But in the process I once again learned to be more careful of where I leave things and worry less about what other people think about what I look like...

6 comments:

Evil Transport Lady said...

Things to remember next time you feel that way.

She may look perfect on the outside, but there's a price to pay for that look.

Her kids maybe in front of the TV eating junk food, while she gets "ready".

Her house (the only one she has,shared with her 19 extended family members)is a mess.

She's on her 8th marriage.

She doesn't know who her baby's daddy is. But she has the latest fashions etc.

Ok I'm being sarcastic, but smile, you are doing a fine job!

Logzie said...

...EVERY woman's battle...I would bet even the "pretty" ones would agree that they feel like they don't measure up to others. It's a sick twisted cycle I tell you!! Ha!

I agree with the Evil Lunch Lady as well. There's ALWAYS more to the story. Something has to be sacraficed and Mom's like you and I are just not willing to pay that kind of price.

As for the paint...OH MY!!...it must have something to do with babies who were born around that time as Ella and Ty sound a lot alike in the mischevieous department! LOL!!

Mojonah said...

I ALWAYS run into someone on the day that I am totally 'scrubbed out". There have been times that I thought I looked soooo bad, that I pretended I didn't see the person. :D Pretty bad eh?

I agree with Logzie and Lunch Lady...who knows what happens behind closed doors.

Too funny about the paint! That did get a chuckle out of me!

KC said...

Glad you got the paint all cleaned up. Whew! :)

Just take care of yourself, and don't worry about what others think. Logzie is right, no matter how great we may feel about ourselves and the way we look, if we see someone looking better, we immediately feel bad about our own looks. It is a very vicious cycle. Plus who knows...she could have been hurting so bad on the inside, that she had to fix up the outside to try and make herself feel better.

Anonymous said...

Obviously you did not meet me at the grocery. ;>

Jenelle, only forgetfulness came before your "fall". Forgetfulness to get the brushes taken care of. We are too quick to beat ourselves and others up. Who knows? Maybe she feels she can never live up to your social skills or that you are more "spiritual?" Maybe she chooses a quick clean up of herself rather than her house? Maybe she is just good at being put together that way and you are good at other things? Maybe she just happened to be put together on a day when you felt you were not? There are many possible explainations. I don't think we should beat her up for looking together anymore than you should beat yourself up for being busy and not as together as you'd like. It's okay to take care of yourself when you feel frumpy. Please don't be so hard on yourself. All my love. :>

Jen said...

I have SO been-there done-that. Usually its on the days that I haven't had a shower, no make up and nasty, gross hair that I get to finally meet one of my husbands co-workers! Just wonderful!
Anyhow, all of your other commenters were right in everything they said (and you probably already knew all that) but I just want you to know that most of us feel like this a lot of the time. There is this girl I work out with at the gym. She is the most fit, most cute, most tan, most sculpted person I've ever met. She has fake boobs, gorgeous hair and the sweetest personality to boot! (this girl is so "perfect" that she has even won many fitness and body-building competitions!) But everytime I talk to her she can't stop putting herself down and saying how she hates her legs or wishes her boobs were more perky or how she needs to get more tan or how her hair is such a mess. I mean...if she looks bad..I must look like a white, gigantic elephant covered in cottage cheese!! ha ha...but really...I mean...on her worst day ever...she still looks a zillion times better than me on my BEST day ever. But you know what...who cares!? Thank GOD that I am not that unhappy or unsettled with how I look. I am doing my best...and that's the best that I can offer, ya know!?
Okay..sorry, that was long.

By the way...wow! about the paint brushes! What a disaster that could've been!