It was a busy but rewarding weekend. We put in all of our gardens this weekend - veggie, flower, & herb. I have a great sunburn, bruises (thanks to blood thinners), and scratches all over. What can I say, it was a labor of love.
Veggies - tomatoes, yellow & green pepper, jalepenos, broccoli, yellow summer squash, beans & giant pumpkins. I thought I had gotten zuchini so I'll be going back for more. We ended up with some extra room so I'm to go shopping for the extras now that the basics are in. We had to make wire cages for most of the veggies thanks to the plethera of deer, bunnies, and other creatures that live in our wildlife park that we call home.
Plants - I stashed away my favorite perennials at my MIL and friend's gardens. I have a mothers garden filled with flowers that my boys give me for mother's day. They get to pick out whatever they want. Sometimes it's an "interesting" choice... When I went to dig out my plants my MIL gave me all kinds of flowers from her garden that needed to be split, moved, or removed. I think it gives her a way to be generous and go get more new stuff ;)
Herbs - I put a special mini garden right by the patio outside the kitchen. I love cooking with fresh herbs. I cook far more healthy when I do. With a patch easily located I can grab them and go. I have rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano, parsley, & cilantro. The neighbor is giving me sesame. The plant is used in a lot of asian cooking. This garden saves me LOTS of money.
We also made it to pressure washed the driveway, went to church, a grad open house, and had friends over for dinner & games. A full and wonderful weekend.
8 comments:
Your home is BEAUTIFUL! I'd love to have the space to plant as much as you were able to; especially zucchini. I discovered in the last couple of years that my kids LOVE zucchini, but I don't have the room to grow it.
Terri - I have an awesome zucchini bread recipe. I'll have to post it soon. It's kind of healthy too.
Jenelle, That looks awesome!!! What great fun, and so jealous of your fab herb garden, with our moving planned for Sept. I am kind of banned from making any big changes in or outside the house! I'll enjoy vicariously through you!!
Kiki - when we moved last year I did herbs, tomatoes, and pepper all in large pots so they moved with us. It was definitely worth it. I had an italian pot (tomato, oregano, rosemary, thyme) a salsa pot (tomato, jalepeno, & cilantro) and a general pot
I have a screened in porch, do you think the pots would do okay in there??? They get full day soon...
Wow! You've done so much in such a little time!
Thanks for inspiring me and helping me to plant a garden. I know nothing when it comes to green thumb stuff. :) I'm so glad I have YOU!
Hi Jenelle, Matt and I are thinking of doing a garden at our new house. Matt said the area I want to put it has alot of sand. Did you have this problem too?
Kiki - as long as your porch gets lots of light, you should be fine. I actually did my pots in my driveway.
Rachel - actually have clay - so we are on the other side of things. You can put in a garden but you'll need to watch a couple of things. First I'd add some bags of manure and peat to the area for nutrients. You'll need to water more frequently because of drainage, and fertilize periodically as well. A garden is worth the work.
Post a Comment